COVID-19 vaccines are now available to all California residents aged 65 or older, according to a major expansion of California’s guidelines announced by Governor Newsom’s administration on Wednesday 1/13/21. The government is currently setting up a notification system that will tell you when you become eligible to get your shot. While awaiting notification, below are some general guidelines and information from Medicare and California Department of Public Health about the COVID-19 vaccines.
Once the vaccine becomes available to you, know that:
- You will need 2 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for it to be effective. When you receive your first dose, make sure to schedule your second dose.
- Medicare covers the COVID-19 vaccine, so there will be no cost to you. People with private or public health insurance besides Medicare, and those with no health insurance will also receive the vaccine at no cost.
- State governments are handling the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. Look for updates from your state and local officials as more doses of the vaccine become available for additional priority groups. In California, visit https://covid19.ca.gov for more information.
You can also visit CDC.gov for additional trustworthy information on the COVID-19 vaccines.
In addition, as the vaccine rolls out, stay vigilant of scams. Some red flags to watch for include:
- Someone tries to sell you a place on a COVID vaccine waiting list. There is no “vaccine waiting list.”
- Someone says they can get you into an earlier vaccine group for a fee.
- Someone online, on social media or knocking on your door tries to sell you a dose of vaccine.
- You get calls, texts, or emails about the vaccine where the caller asks for your personal or financial information. Never share these numbers or other personal information with an unknown caller or in a text or email.
- You see ads for fake vaccines or “miracle cures” using vitamins or other dietary supplements. The FDA has issued warning letters to many companies for selling products that claim to prevent, treat or cure COVID-19.
You can also see our recent COVID-19 vaccine scams fraud alert, available in 9 languages. If you come across any such scams, report them to our California Senior Medicare Patrol at 1-855-613-7080.