Resources on Medicare, Other Health Care Programs & Links to CA Tribal Clinics
Downloadable Brochures on Medicare
- Medicare enrollment: When to Sign Up for Medicare & When to Change Your Plan
- Help with Medicare costs: Need Help Affording Medicare Premiums?
Medicare & Other Available Government Health Care Programs
- Basics on Medicare coverage for American Indians & Alaskan Natives
- Information and helpful tips for American Indians and Alaskan Natives in applying for benefits in the Marketplace, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Overview of all health insurance resources/programs for Indian Americans/Alaskan Natives outside of Medicare (people younger than 65), including children, pregnant women, mothers, fathers, students, extra subsidies for health care from the Marketplace and more
- All of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) outreach and education material to order and/or download
- Short video for service providers on how to use CMS outreach materials at health fairs or powwows
- Video on role of CMS in Indian Health Care
- Indian Health Services – their COVID pages include FAQs, news, resources for tribes, and contacts
- Elder Mental Health During COVID-19 – from Indian Health Services
- COVID-19 Resources for Indian Country – information and resources from the National Congress of American Indians
- National Indian Council on Aging – COVID resources page
- Administration for Native Americans COVID-19 resource page
- Reminder: Testing for COVID-19 is covered under Medicare, Medicaid, and Marketplace plans. Moreover, both Medicare and Medicaid cover telehealth services even when the provider and patient are at home and not in a clinic or other health care setting. Note that telehealth services include preventive health screenings and mental health counseling and do not need to be related to COVID-19. Here’s a fact sheet with some basic info on COVID-19.
- Public Service Announcements – Share these brief audio clips and videos that promote good self care of physical, emotional and mental health and resources available through Indian Health Services. These are available in 10 Native languages and English, and can be shared on your local radio station, website, and Facebook page.
- Public Health Training – The National Indian Health Board (NIHB) created this interactive e-course to help strengthen public health infrastructure, especially during this COVID-19 pandemic, and improve delivery of essential services. The course is intended for tribal leaders and tribal advisory committee members.
Tribal Health Care Clinics in California
CMS Serving American Indians & Alaskan Natives in California – this Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services handout lists contact info for many tribal clinics across state and has a list of all the Indian health clinic names throughout the state
Organizations Serving Tribal Nation Elders
- California Indian Manpower Consortium (CIMC)
- National Indian Council on Aging
- American Indian Aging Conference
News & Updates
- How A Company Misappropriated Native American Culture To Sell Health Insurance – Maine investigators find one patient’s saga with O’NA HealthCare offers a cautionary tale for anyone looking for cut-rate coverage online. California has banned the sale of this type of short-term health insurance plan. But, if you do find some health insurance offer that seems too good to be true, check with the California Department of Insurance to make sure it is a legitimate company before purchasing. You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.