In the video skit below, our partners at the Stop Senior Scams Acting Program take a look at the top scams targeted at seniors based on real experience and testimonials. They cover Social Security scams, romance scams, Medicare hospice scams, grandparent scams, sweepstakes scams, computer tech scams and COVID-19 scams.
Some tips to protect yourself from such scams include:
- Never give out personal info to someone you don’t know without verifying their legitimacy.
- Remember that the government will never ask for personal information, like your Social Security number or Medicare number, over the phone or internet.
- Do not pay money in order to claim a prize.
- Delete emails from senders you don’t recognize.
- Remember that scammers often disguise real phone numbers using fake caller IDs.
- Don’t make quick decisions out of fear.
- Report all suspected scams.
If you come across any suspected scams or fraud, report it to our California Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) at 1-855-613-7080. You can also view our other videos on Medicare fraud here.