Available via an annual subscription, our 32 fact sheets cover 9 different Medicare and other health insurance topics. Those fact sheets pertaining to Medicare Basics include:
- Original Medicare: An Overview (A-003)
- Medicare Assignment and Costs (A-004)
- Medicare: Premiums, Co-insurance & Deductibles (Original Fee-for-Service Medicare) (A-005)
- Medicare: Fraud & Abuse (A-007)
- Medicare Enrollment Periods (A-008)
“Welcome to Medicare” Information Sheets
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) outlines 3 simple steps for new beneficiaries to take to make the most of their Medicare benefits. Download the PDF in English, Chinese, Hmong, Korean, Laotian and Vietnamese.
Websites & Other Resources
- California AAAs
- California AAA’s: c4a.info; 1-800-510-2020 Local aging issues and resources to community-based services and agencies serving older adults.
- California Department of Aging
- Sacramento: 916-322-3887 Information on aging and disability issues and demographics, senior legal resources, consumer resources.
- California Medicare News
- Variety of current articles on Medicare-related topics.
- Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP)
- 1-800-434-0222 Free counseling about Medicare, Medigap policies, Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare fraud, filing an appeal and long-term care insurance.
- Medicare.gov – The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare
- 1-800-MEDICARE (633-4227) Information on Medicare, Medigap policies, Medicare Advantage (formerly known as Medicare+Choice) plan options, prescription drug assistance programs, nursing homes and home health care, and other Medicare-related issues.
- Medicare Fraud
- 1-800-MEDICARE (633-4227) Overview on Medicare fraud, prevention tips and how to report fraud. Also links to Medicare publications on fraud.
- National Council on Aging: Online Screening Service
- Online screening service that checks older adults’ eligibility for various public and private benefit programs in all 50 states. Programs include those for prescription drugs (and screening for Part D Low-Income Subsidy), nutrition (such as food stamps), legal services, energy assistance, in-home services, tax assistance and transportation.
- Office of Inspector General
- 1-800-HHS-TIPS (447-8477) Medicare fraud; reporting complaints or fraud in the Medicare program.
- State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs)
- Provides contact information for each state’s SHIP.
- Senior Medicare Patrol Project (SMP)
- California’s SMP office: 1-855-613-7080 Provides contact information on each state’s SMP project, education and advocacy on how to recognize, report and protect yourself from Medicare fraud.
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- 1-800-772-1213 Covers Medicare eligibility, Social Security benefits, change of address for Medicare or Social Security, lost Medicare card replacements.