Social Security now offers new online services for people to access their personal records. People can sign up for a free account on “my Social Security” and get access to their records and information while still working—and when they start receiving benefits. It is a convenient, paperless way for people to get this information.
People who already receive Social Security benefits can use this service to:
- Get their benefit verification letter;
- Check their benefit and payment information and their earnings record;
- Change their address and phone number; and
- Start or change direct deposit of their benefit payment.
People who are not yet receiving benefits can use the service to:
- Estimate of their retirement, disability, and survivors benefits;
- View their earnings record; and
- Review the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes they have paid.
To sign up for “my Social Security account,” you must be at least 18 years old, have an email address, a social security number and a U.S. mailing address.