This new web-based and downloadable tool guides people who are newly eligible for Medicare (either by age or having a disability) through commonly asked questions and important action steps to take to ensure they get the most of their Medicare coverage. This tool helps beneficiaries:
- Understand how to enroll in Medicare, and understand the rules for when they can delay enrollment without a penalty;
- Know if they have creditable drug coverage (either through Medicare Part D or other drug coverage);
- Know their options for supplementing Medicare;
- Be aware of low-income programs to help cover Medicare costs for those who qualify; and
- Know resources available for help and for more information on each question.
As the baby boomer population continues to age, this is a handy tool for advocates, providers and counselors to give to their clients, both those coming into Medicare due to age, and those qualifying due to a disability.