Available via an annual subscription, our 30+ fact sheets cover 9 different Medicare and other health insurance topics. Those fact sheets pertaining to low-income help include those listed below. Note that E-004 on Cal MediConnect is available for free.
- Low-Income Assistance: Medicare Savings Programs (E-001)
- Low-Income Assistance: Medi-Cal (for People with Medicare) (E-002)
- Low-Income Assistance: Extra Help for Part D Costs (E-003)
- Low-Income Assistance: Cal MediConnect (E-004)
Part D Plan Comparison Charts
- California Medicare Part D Benchmark Plans (PDF)
(for people who qualify for the Extra Help/Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program)
- California Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) (PDF) —
(does not include a list of California’s Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plans)
- BenefitsCheckUp (National Council on Aging)
- Online screening service that checks older adults’ eligibility for various public and private benefit programs in all 50 states. Programs include prescription drugs and screening for the Medicare Part D Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) program, nutrition (such as food stamps), legal services, energy assistance, in-home services, tax assistance and transportation.
- Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud and Elder Abuse
- Run by the California Attorney General to provide health care resources for the needy, and to protect patients in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities from abuse or neglect.
- California Department of Aging – Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)
- 1-800-510-2020 Provides older adults with information on local resources and community-based services, including low-income programs.
- California Medicare News
- Variety of current articles on Medicare-related topics, including low-income help for Medicare beneficiaries.
- A resource from the National Council on Aging, EconomicCheckUp provides seniors with ways to better manage their budget, save money and set financial goals. It includes specialized and individualized help for: money management & budgeting; debt & credit management; housing; health; and employment and training.
- Health Consumer Alliance
- 1-310-204-4900 A partnership of consumer-assistance programs operated by community-based legal service organizations created to help people with low income obtain essential health care.
- Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP)
- 1-800-434-0222 Free counseling about Medicare, Medigap policies, Medicare Advantage (formerly known as Medicare+Choice) plans, filing an appeal and long-term care insurance.
- Medicare.gov – The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare
- 1-800-MEDICARE (633-4227) Information on Medicare, Medigap policies, Medicare Advantage (formerly known as Medicare+Choice) plan options, prescription drug-assistance programs, nursing homes, home health care and other Medicare-related issues.
- 1-800-322-6384 Medi-Cal covers many dental services. Visit this website to learn about your benefits and find a dental care provider near you who accepts Medi-Cal.
- Social Security Administration (SSA)
- 1-800-772-1213 Covers Medicare eligibility, Social Security benefits, Low-Income Subsidy (LIS) applications, change of address for Medicare or Social Security and lost Medicare card replacements.