California Health Advocates joins advocates across the country in encouraging our Congressional leaders to build on past bipartisan efforts and ensure all individuals have equitable access to testing and treatment for COVID-19; equip states and localities with sufficient financial support to combat the crisis; provide protection and support to the health care workforce and others on the frontlines of the pandemic; assure access and capacity in the health system; and protect against high and unexpected health care costs.
The United States is facing a public health emergency greater than any we have seen in several generations. As of April 22, the United States had approximately 850,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases and 48,000 deaths, affecting countless families across the country, from every Congressional district, from every geography, and from every socio-economic level. What’s more, evidence is emerging that our communities of color are suffering greater infections and deaths due to COVID 19, exacerbating already profound health disparities.
In submitting a letter to our Congressional leaders, we provide targeted recommendations that can provide immediate support to communities that need relief. Some of the recommendations include:
- Ensuring access to affordable health insurance coverage.
- Providing states, localities, territories, and tribes with the financial support they need.
- Protecting the health and safety of essential workers.
- Organizing and building national public health capacity to safely move beyond large-scale “lock-downs”.
- Protecting patient access to care and prohibit price gouging of health care services.
- Prioritizing the health of older adults, people with disabilities, and vulnerable populations.
- Prioritizing children’s health and well-being during the pandemic.
- Ensuring robust oversight of response efforts.
Details of each recommendation are provided in the letter.
Read the full letter.