California Senior Medicare Patrol made 2013 another stellar year. Dedicated staff and volunteers statewide have been out in the front lines educating the public about fraud, how to detect and report it, and empowering relatives, colleagues and peers to be powerful fraud stoppers in their own communities. This past year’s statistics demonstrate this great work that benefits tens of thousands of beneficiaries, providers and the integrity of the Medicare program. Below are a few highlights. Numbers are for the reporting period of 10/1/12 – 9/30/13:
- 701 active volunteers
- 22,894 hours of volunteer time
- 426 community education events
- 18,880 individual counseling sessions with beneficiaries
- 357 complex cases resolved
- $1.49 million in recoverable Medicare funds attributable to our SMP project
Great job SMP! And a big thank you to all those spreading the word on preventing fraud in their own communities. Here’s to a great 2014!
See Medicare Fraud for more information.