with Your California Senior Medicare Patrol
Our California Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) program is recruiting new SMP volunteers. If you’re retired and are interested in being part of the solution to stop Medicare fraud, contact our SMP program at 1-855-613-7080.
California SMP Liaison Volunteers and staff at a training conference.
SMP Volunteers work in their community, at senior centers, health fairs and elsewhere educating their peers about health care fraud, how to protect their identity and how to review their Medicare Summary Notices. They work one-on-one with beneficiaries, give presentations to groups and represent SMP at events.
SMP volunteers receive extensive initial and ongoing training, and are a part of a state and nationwide team of dynamic and dedicated volunteers and staff.
Become a Volunteer!
SMP Volunteers serve at least 8 hours a month. They first complete 30 hours of Medicare training, and 20 hours of internship to become a certified Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) Counselor. Then they complete an additional 2 hours of SMP training in Medicare fraud. Monthly SMP webinars are also available for continued training and updates on current fraud issues.
If you’re interested in becoming an SMP Volunteer, fill out the information below, and someone from our SMP office will contact you. Thank you!
SMP Helpline: 1-855-613-7080
- Cracking Down on Medicare Fraud
- Listen to volunteers at 2010 health care fraud summits:
- AARP Bulletin: Watchdogs for Medicare Fraud
- USA Today: Senior Medicare Patrols Help Fight Fraud – an article in USA Today
- Wall Street Journal: How to Help Take a Bite Out of Medicare Fraud
- Time Magazine: Washington Ratchets Up the Fight Against Medicare Fraud
- Fraud Patrol: For senior volunteers, SMP program is a worthy retirement plan
- California SMP Volunteer, J. Ray Jones, Receives National Volunteer Recognition Award
- California's Senior Medicare Patrol Receives 4 Awards
Updated Nov 15, 2011