Education for Professionals
We offer workshops addressing major topics in Medicare. These workshops are specifically designed for professionals who serve Medicare beneficiaries. Please use the form linked below to submit a request. We will make arrangements with the speaker/trainer, send you a note of confirmation and mail training materials to you prior to the event. Please call 916-231-5110 for workshop fees.
Register here: Educational Workshop Request
See our upcoming trainings to learn what health care reform means for your clients and how Medicare can help. Trainings available through June 2013.
Current Workshop Topics
- Medicare: An Overview
- Supplementing Medicare
- Medicare Part D: An Overview
- Medicare Appeals
- Assistance for People with Low Incomes
- Medicare Fraud and Abuse (Also available in Spanish)
For more information about our knowledgeable speakers/trainers, see our staff biographies.
- Elaine Wong Eakin, Executive Director
- Bonnie Burns, Training & Policy Specialist
- Julie Schoen, Project Director
- Marta Erismann, SMP Community Outreach Coordinator (northern California)
Medicare Rx Drug Benefit Part B vs Part D Home Infusion Perspective
- Lucy Saldaña, Pharm.D., Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Region IX Pharmacist Consultant
Social Security Updates
- Frank Van Nostrand, Public Affairs Specialist, Social Security Administration
California Department of Corporations & Seniors Against Investment Fraud
- Jackie Wiley-Sistrunk, California Department of Corporations
Potential Fraud in Hospice Agencies & Hospice Payments
- Fraud in Hospice Agencies (Pat Frey, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- Hospice Payment (Diane Caradeuc, California Health Advocates)
Other Medicare-related Sites for Professionals
Medicare Desk Reference
Our Desk Reference is an easy-to-use guide on the basics of Medicare coverage.
Tools and Resources
Frequently Asked Questions Things to know and actions to take when becoming eligible for Medicare. For both beneficiaries and advocates and providers working with beneficiaries.
Plan Comparison Charts
Medicare Part D Stand-Alone Prescription Drug Plans — not including a list of California's Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug plans.
“Thank you for providing an outstanding training to our counselors and staff on Medicare fraud and abuse. Your stories and discussion on what’s happening out there in the world of crimes against Medicare really opened our counselors’ eyes to what is happening in our own backyard and gave them a greater appreciation for the amazing work being done by the Senior Medicare Patrol!”
— Debbie Reed, Santa Cruz County HICAP Program Manager, March 2010
Updated Medicare Marketing Regulations
14-slide PowerPoint presentation on the Medicare marketing regulations for Medicare Advantage and PDPs in effect both from the Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA) of 2008 and additional changes made in 2009.