Donate to California Health Advocates
We invite you to jump in (like this enthusiastic penguin ) and give. Your help ensures the continuation of our advocacy and education work on behalf of California’s over 5 million Medicare beneficiaries.
CHA provides quality Medicare and related health care coverage information, education and policy advocacy.
- “Thank you again for being our guest speaker…. The information you gave regarding Medicare fraud was both enlightening and frightening. We are all aware of the fraud perpetuated by unscrupulous parties, but I had no idea of the scope and organization the fraud; especially involving the ethnic communities. I would like to call on you to speak at other community meetings; I will be in touch!”— Alex E, Co-chairCommunity Housing Coalition, California Adult and Aging Commission
- “Your passion and concern for this issue (Medicare Fraud and Abuse) is evident and very effective in communicating the need for vigilance among seniors.”— Los Arcos Apartments, Poway
"In January, my doctor sent a claim to Medicare for a walking boot which I needed for a medical condition. Medicare denied the claim even though the boot was a covered item. Since the doctor was not paid, he insisted that I pay $284.85 out of pocket, which I paid, however I was sure this was not a fair practice.
I brought my case to the California Senior Medicare Patrol and Sandy Morales, Complex Case Manager, worked on the issue for several months. She was an intermediary between Medicare and my doctor and after several conversations, she was able to convince the doctor to re-submit the claim for the boot, along with the appropriate documentation indicating medical necessity.
Bottom line: in September, Medicare paid the doctor for the valid claim and the doctor reimbursed me for the full $284.85.
Thank you Sandy and Senior Medicare Patrol for being such a strong advocate for a grateful Medicare beneficiary."— Marcy B
- “I just viewed your SMP web page and I must say it is very impressive. I really enjoyed the site and spent much time (3 hours this evening to be exact) learning. It is so good that I will have my English speaking volunteers use it as a training tool. You should receive recognition for such an ‘impressive’ web page!“—Rachanna R.Texas Senior Medicare Patrol, SCOS, Inc.
- "I wish to take this opportunity to express a heartfelt thank you for your fine work through your office and Pam Brown's that enabled me to retrieve my Medicare insurance that was inadvertently canceled may my insurer in error. Just received my medical card today. We are so relieved. A lovely lady with Medicare gave me the HICAP number and through another very nice lady (Muriel Smalheiser) I was able to speak with Pam who contacted you at California Health Advocates. I am so grateful to all of you, as my wife who is very ill battling a rare cancer, as sick as she was, tried to assist me in my application during the open conversion period, would have been disastrous for me not to have coverage. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your caring and your fine work."-- Phil R.
- “The CHA Fact Sheets are invaluable; I do not know what we would do without them! It would be impossible to counsel and reach the population that we do, if the fact sheets were not available. They provide us with a template in which we base all our sessions on, and with them, we can confidently say to the client that we are providing them with accurate and detailed information, which will guide them into making a decision that is appropriate for them. They are the best thing next to sliced bread!”— Jennifer Tam, San Francisco HICAP Program Manager