Learn how to protect yourself from Medicare fraud.
8 Most Popular Pages
California Health Advocates
We are a non-profit organization dedicated to Medicare advocacy and education for Californians. Our website provides accurate and unbiased information about Medicare benefits and long-term care for people who live in California.
- Actions to Take If Your Doctor is No Longer in Your Medicare Advantage Plan’s Network
- Dec 5, 2013 ADVANTAGE If you've been notified that one of your doctors in your Medicare Advantage plan is no longer in the plan's network, you may switch to another MA plan or return to Original Medicare. Medicare's Annual Election Period to make this switch, however, ends Saturday, Dec 7th at midnight. Learn your options.
- Watch Out for Deceptive Sales Practices During Medicare’s Open Enrollment
- Nov 12, 2013 BLOG Beware of improper sales practices during Medicare’s annual open enrollment period for Medicare Advantage and prescription drug plans.
- Medicare & Covered California ~ Get Your Questions Answered
- Nov 7, 2013 REFORM Get answers to some of the most common questions about Medicare and Covered California, our state's new health insurance marketplace.
- California SMP Recovers $5.8 Million to Medicare
- Nov 6, 2013 FRAUD Our California Senior Medicare Patrol recovered over $5.8 million to the Medicare system for just one case, thanks to the persistent and dedicated efforts of our SMP casework team.
- Karen Fazio Joins Our SMP Team!
- Nov 6, 2013 CHA NEWS Join us in welcoming Karen Fazio! As our Senior Medicare Patrol Special Projects Manager, Fazio provides outreach and education to California’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) populations as part of our SMP integration project.
- United Healthcare Cuts Doctors from its Medicare Advantage Plans
- Oct 30, 2013 BLOG United Healthcare is dropping 10 to 15% of its doctors nationwide. This cut will likely include Californian physicians as there are many United Healthcare HMO plans offered throughout the state.
- Medicare Announces Major Savings for Medicare Beneficiaries in 2014
- Oct 29, 2013 BLOG Health care reform efforts continue to yield significant savings to Medicare beneficiaries, such as zero growth in Medicare Part B premiums and deductibles in 2014, and more than $8 billion in cumulative savings in the prescription drug coverage gap known as the “donut hole.”
- Open Enrollment is Here! Do You Know Your Plan Changes for 2014?
- Oct 17, 2013 BASICS Open Enrollment, referred to as the Annual Election Period, runs from October 15 through December 7. It is one of the few times you can change, enroll into or disenroll from a Medicare Advantage or Part D plan.Review your options and learn about 2014 Medicare Part C and D changes.
- Learn About Medicare Changes in 2014
- Oct 10, 2013 WEBINAR View our archived webinar, and learn about 2014 Medicare changes. Topics include: Medicare Part D cost-sharing; Part D stand-alone and benchmark plans, and Medicare Advantage plans in California; new Explanation of Benefits requirement for MA plans; star ratings for plans; and a review of Special Election Periods.
- Medicare Open Enrollment Starts October 15
- Oct 9, 2013 BLOG Medicare’s fall Open Enrollment runs from October 15 through December 7, and is main time when you can change your coverage.
- Fraudulent Health Care Exchange Website Taken Down
- Sep 26, 2013 BLOG One of the many bogus websites popping up about the new health care insurance marketplaces was recently shut down.
- What is a Medicare Administrative Contractor & Why Should I Care?
- Sep 26, 2013 BILLING If you are a Medicare fee-for-service provider, applying to be a provider, or are a beneficiary filing a Part A or B appeal, you need to know who your Medicare Administrative Contractor is and what they do. California’s MAC recently changed to Noridian Healthcare Services.
- Long-Term Care and the Graying of America
- Sep 25, 2013 LONG-TERM With 10,000 people becoming eligible for Medicare each day for the next 17 years, the need for long-term care services in America is steadily increasing. Learn about long-term care (LTC), its costs, LTC insurance and things to consider if purchasing, and the national issue of long-term care.
- Warm Welcomes to Paula Holden as She Joins Our SMP Team!
- Sep 23, 2013 CHA NEWS Based in Chico, Paula will head up our SMP Liaison and volunteer coordination, and develop new outreach opportunities. We are thrilled to have her join our team!
- Protect Yourself from Obamacare Scams this Fall
- Sep 20, 2013 FRAUD The roll out of the new health care program known as "Obamacare" begins in October, with enrollment from October 1, 2013 – March 31, 2014. This enrollment period is not to be confused with Medicare’s fall Open Enrollment which is October 15 – December 7, 2013. Learn important tips to avoid scams both for people with Medicare and those without.
- Take Simple Actions to Prevent Phone Scams & Protect Yourself If Scammed
- Sep 20, 2013 FRAUD Use this quick action plan checklist if you feel you have been scammed or your identity compromised.
- Learn About Changes in Health Care Policy Affecting California's Low-Income Seniors
- Sep 12, 2013 WEBINAR If you missed our live webinar on 9/12, you can access the archived recording, slides and other posted materials online. Learn about Medi-Cal expansion and who is eligible after January 2014, Medi-Cal Managed Care expansion in rural areas, Covered California, and updates on the California Care Initiative.
- How Does Covered California™ Affect People with Medicare?
- Aug 19, 2013 REFORM Covered California™ is our state's insurance marketplace and was set up as a result of the Affordable Care Act. It won’t affect your Medicare choices or your benefits, and if you have Medicare, you don’t need to do anything. You are considered covered. You should, however, be aware of potential scams to sign you up for insurance you don’t need.
- The Numbers are Out! California SMP Saves Money for Both Medicare & Beneficiaries
- Aug 6, 2013 FRAUD The Office of Inspector General (OIG) numbers are out and California’s Senior Medicare Patrol has much to celebrate! Our SMP, serving over 4.5 million beneficiaries across the state, accounts for 10% of the total SMP volunteer base, 28% of the Medicare funds expected to be recovered, 28% of the cost avoidance for beneficiaries, and 70% of the actual savings for beneficiaries.
- CHA Testifies on the Need for Long-Term Care Services & Recommends Innovative, Comprehensive Solutions
- Aug 1, 2013 ADVOCACY Bonnie Burns of California Health Advocates provided oral and written testimony to the Commission on Long-Term Care. She speaks to the urgent, growing need of long-term care services, our current broken system of care, the limits of long-term care insurance, and provides several recommendations for creating a new system. Some recommendations include: looking at what's working in other countries; drawing ideas from the deceased CLASS Act and the Federal long-term care insurance program; standardizing each element of LTC insurance policies for ease of comparison; and making personal care a mandatory benefit of each state's Medicaid program. See written testimony (PDF).
- A Baby Boomer Alert: Who Is Stealing From Your Elderly Parents Today?
- Jul 18, 2013 FRAUD MetLife’s Mature Market Institute estimates that seniors lost $2.9 billion due to financial abuse in 2010, an increase of $200 million from 2009. Because many seniors have saved a "nest egg" in the form of home equity and some savings, they are attractive targets, and vulnerable to a variety of investment fraud, credit card fraud and identity theft.
- Beware of Insurance Agents Giving Misleading Information on Cal MediConnect
- Jul 17, 2013 FRAUD We have reports of insurance agents giving beneficiaries false information about losing access to their doctors' this fall unless they switch plans. This false information may be given deliberately to secure enrollment commissions or may stem from a misunderstanding about a new demonstration called Cal MediConnect.
- Proposals for Changed Medicare Benefit & Cost-sharing Structures Could Harm Beneficiaries
- Jun 26, 2013 ADVOCACY California Health Advocates, the Center for Medicare Advocacy and the Medicare Rights Center submitted written testimony to the Subcommittee on Health of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce. Their testimony addresses proposed changes to Medicare's benefit and cost-sharing structures. Advocates point out the harm these changes could cause and outline other methods to reduce costs and address systemic rises in health care. See written testimony (PDF).
- Beneficiaries Avoid Growing Medical Alert System Scam
- Jun 26, 2013 FRAUD Our recent fraud notice about a Medical Alert company offering to give free equipment has attracted much media coverage and helped numerous beneficiaries statewide avoid this scam. Notices are translated into 5 languages.
- Health & Human Services Secretary Accepts NAIC Recommendations Against Increased Cost-Sharing for Medigap Plans C & F
- May 31, 2013 BLOG After 2 long years of advocacy, Secretary Sebelius agrees to accept the National Association of Insurance Commissioners' recommendations against added cost-sharing for Medigap Plans C and F.
- Beneficiaries Face Financial Hardship with Proposed Increases in Medicare Cost-Sharing
- May 24, 2013 PRESS California Health Advocates and 2 other advocacy groups submitted testimony opposing proposals that would shift costs to beneficiaries to the Subcommittee on Health of the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Ways and Means.